Actuaries for Lawyers is one of the longest established specialist firms of actuaries and consultants providing pensions advice to the legal profession. As one of the leading firms in this expanding area for actuaries, we are proud of the reputation that we have established amongst our clients in providing clear and comprehensive advice to assist in areas ranging from divorce settlements and unfair dismissals to personal injury and professional negligence claims. We are looking for an exceptional individual who can help us to achieve our vision to our clients. They must be able to inspire trust, deliver results and communicate to clients in language that they can understand.
We are committed to creating a working environment where you can excel at everything that you do. To help us deliver this, we will:
- Encourage your input by involving you in key decisions, listen to your views and recognise the important contribution you make
- Challenge your capabilities by providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work whilst working in a supportive and friendly environment
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Offer flexible work practices and provide support to help you work at your best
The position involves operating at a senior actuarial level in the business.
The holder will be expected to perform at a supervisory level in relation to all actuarial and pensions work carried out by the business.
You will be expected to have mastered the main roles carried out by our Pension Analysts and Senior Pension Analysts in relation to writing pension reports for clients including data verification, mathematical modelling, interpreting the results of calculations and the ability to explain these results to clients (both in writing and sometimes verbally if required) in order that they are confident to make significant financial decisions based upon the report findings.
You will be required to check and sign off both pension and actuarial reports using procedures and guidelines set out for this purpose as well as ensuring that reports comply with accepted actuarial standards such as TAS 100 and APS X2.
You will need to ensure that reports, that you sign off for clients, meet the relevant standards required by the court, for example the Family Procedure Rules or the Civil Procedure Rules as relevant. (Full training will be provided if you are not currently familiar with these).
The holder will also be expected to be able to sign off quotes for new business and perform data collection (DC) checks for all cases which have passed through the DC stage.
The position involves playing a leading role in setting up and agreeing new procedures, contributing to the setting of house basis actuarial assumptions and technical actuarial and pensions input into all aspects of the business.
The position further involves assisting in and influencing business strategy and leadership. The holder will be a member of the senior management team which meets regularly to make key operational and strategic decisions concerning the business.
The post will further involve leading and managing other projects for the business as required.
The holder needs to be a confident communicator who is happy to liaise with clients by telephone, in writing and in person as needed. This will include making presentations to clients at seminars. There will also be the requirement to assist in telephone conference calls with clients in court proceedings and provide expert witness evidence to the court or an industrial tribunal in person, on the rare occasions where this may be needed.
The holder will be a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
- Able to assess the reasonableness of the output from actuarial and financial models, and apply an appropriate level of review based on the complexity and materiality of the results
- To be accountable and take responsibility for the technical accuracy of financial information contained in reports as well as the recommendations provided.
- To provide specialist technical advice and guidance on the application of actuarial principles and tools to support business objectives. This will include mentoring and coaching to other members of the team
- To provide clear and comprehensive advice to clients both verbally and in writing to enable them to progress their cases and make financial decisions from a more informed position.
- Able to present seminars to clients, including family lawyers, barristers, mediators and financial planners, to educate and provide training to them in the pensions on divorce area.
- To take in lead in business projects as required in areas such as marketing, IT, compliance with technical/actuarial standards and other guidance
You will have:
- Excellent technical actuarial and pensions knowledge, with attention to detail
- Be highly motivated and willing to take responsibility and ownership of the work assigned
- Possess demonstrable experience of problem solving and providing practical solutions to complex problems
- Commercial aptitude and the ability to consider the impact of decisions
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well in a small team
- Ability to express own viewpoint and to communicate clearly on complex actuarial issues
Attractive location in the market town of Wetherby in Yorkshire on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales within 10 to 15 miles of Leeds, York and Harrogate, conveniently near to the A1 and with good public transport connections. There would however be the opportunity for flexible home working in carrying out this role and candidates who wish to primarily, or wholly, work from home would be offered that flexibility.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate for this position.
How to apply:
For a confidential informal conversation to discuss the position and what it involves, please drop an email to Paul Windle whose email address is email@example.com together with a copy of your CV. You can also ring Paul on 01937 582041 and select Option 4 on the phone menu.